Friday, December 01, 2006

Ok, If This Keeps Up, I'm Going to Have to Change the Name of This Blog to "Shehan's 'You Heard It Here First' Artist Obits and More"!!!


So anyway, I know it's early so I imagine no one's heard yet, but Shirley Walker died of a brain aneurysm yesterday. At this point I'm more than grateful that November is finally over because it was not a good month for artistry in Hollywood. That makes Basil, Altman, Big Jack Palance, and now Shirley (ok, so who am I forgetting...). For those of you who are unfamiliar, Ms. Walker was really a damned good orchestrator/conductor/composer. Just listen to just about anything Danny Elfman did before 1995 or so and she had a hand in its orchestrations. Her music for Batman: The Animated Series was top notch, and there were several of her film scores that I was fond of, particularly Memoirs of an Invisible Man, and the first two Final Destination's were pretty good too. She and Rachael Portman more or less embodied feminine success in film music. Shirley wasn't exactly a household name like Johnny or Jerry, but I'm sure she'll still be missed nonetheless.

2 comments:

Herr Vogler said...

You should change the name of your blog to MIKE'S BLOG OF DEATH AND GLOOM!!!

Herr Vogler said...

Ok. Time for a new post.