Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What?! NO 'FISH'?!?!

So anyway, thought I'd throw a couple of cents into the Oscar pot.

The mad-dog-crazy Johnny fan in me thinks he'll bring home number six, but the cynic in me knows that "Music for Fudge-Packing Ranch Hands" will likely win. But, never underestimate the Academy members' ability to surprise you, case in point: Elliot Goldenthal for Frida!

I love Goldenthal, he's my, well...fourth favorite composer (behind Big John, Jerry, and Basil P.). But I wouldn't say that Frida represents a landmark acheivment in his career. If anything, Final Fantasy is, arguably of course, his best score.And of course it got completely snubbed because of the overwhelmingly horrid response to the movie. Frida was, like so many winners anymore, more of a "Sorry your little movie isn't going to win any big awards, so here take this one" award. With luck though, that may happen for Johnny and Memoirs.

I'm really kind of bent about Revenge of the Sith being snubbed for the FX award. I loved Kong, thought WETA did a slam-bang job, but overall, I still think Sith had the better work (and that's not just the Star Wars geek in me talking - mostly).

And now for something I'm really pissed about. Firstly, I must have missed a press release or something because I didn't know the Best Song category was being bumped down to 3 this year. That in and of itself isn't a big deal. But in my humble opinion, "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish" from Hitchhiker's Guide is/was clearly the most interesting and original song this year, and perhaps in the last several. Besides being laugh-out-loud funny, it was really damn good. It just sucks that poor response for a film can ruin it's chances for just about any award. At the very least, they could've nominated it and then snubbed it for some crap Phil Collins song or something!

4 comments:

Mikey the Pikey said...

Oh, and then there's the Danny Elfman snub...again!!! What the hell does AMPAS have against him anyway?!?! Both Charlie and Corpse Bride were Oscar worthy. To paraphrase a line from one of my favorite movies (I'll let you all guess what): Does the Academy have pictures of Danny playing golf with SATAN?!?!

Herr Vogler said...

Fish... is the funniest movie song I've heard since South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Herr Vogler said...

And you may as well forget it about Danny Elfman. Those of us that actually know something about film music know that, since Jerry's death, he has been elevated to basically the #2 slot of best around. It's funny. For this country being so staunchly anti-intellectual, and the AMPAS not giving a crap about true artistic achievement, they deem it necessary to not reward one of the most unique voices in film music simply because some people actually still think he phones it in and has all his orchestrators do the work. I have been to the promised land! I have seen the scores! It's simply not true!

Mikey the Pikey said...

Putting Danny in the "#2" spot is touchy (not that I personally disagree). Danny Elfman may just have the single largest 'hater' base of any composer living today...and for the life of me, I can't understand why!!!