Tuesday, June 09, 2009

SQUIRREL!!!

So anyway, this past Saturday we were supposed to make our long overdue (as usual) trip to St. Joe to visit the in-laws. Why the hell after all this time they can't band up in an SUV or something and come-the-fuck down here to see their grandson/nephew/etc is beyond me, but I digest (ahem...). Unfortunately, the Monkey broke his wrist on Thursday, and by Saturday morning, he didn't seem all that up for a road trip. See, there's a silver lining in there...my poor boy's misery worked to my advantage - cruel sounding I know, but hey, whatever avoids a day in hillbilly hell is good for me no matter how it came about. At any rate...we seized the opportunity to take the little bugger to his first movie...

...Up.

Mrs. Pikey and I had already seen it once, though regrettably not in 3D (we're gonna make one more round of it to cover that base soon). Michael's been kinda itching for it ever since he saw the teaser trailer on the Wall E DVD. For him, watching that 30-second trailer was almost as exciting as the 90 minutes of movie that followed. Inevitabry, every time we would put the disc in for him the first thing out of his mouth would be: BOONS!!! (that's balloons in 3-year-old!). So...between the boons, the talking dogs, and that giant, goofy bird, it was just about a shoe-in that lil' man would love his first experience at a cinema. And boy did he! And why not...Pixar's now 10 for 10. It's like they just do not know how to make a bad movie. I'll admit, Up didn't have that certain something that, as I was watching, made me think, "Wow, I'm witnessing something really special here!" the way Wall E did. Honestly, of all of Pixar's feature films, Wall E's the only one that had that effect on me. The Incredibles was close...a credit to Brad Bird I think, but don't take any of that as a slant against the company's other works. I wonder what it would take to wrestle the rights to The Iron Giant away from Warners and let Bird direct a Pixar produced sequel? Pipe dreams I'm sure...but wow what a movie that'd be! Anyway...

Pixar just has this magic touch...more than Fox, or Dreamworks, or even Disney's Cell Animation studio (past and present) - they just have the right combination of talent and vision to put out a fantastic product with every effort. I know Cars isn't everyone's cup of tea, and some folks have issues with Toy Story 2 and/or Ratatouille, but even if I initially wasn't sure about one of those films (or any of them), I've grown to love them (yeah...even Cars!). I'll take Pixar on a bad day over any two of the other animation studios combined. And Up is no exception. If anything, the film serves to further solidify how smart Pixar is...and how with every film they get better and better at making animation for everyone! Their movies aren't out of reach for even a 3-year-old...and yet have plenty of depth and humor without resorting to silliness for just about any adult. Twice now, Pixar has (arguably) made the best film of the year (with The Incredibles and Wall E), yet Oscar was just too afraid to admit that a cartoon was better than anything made with "real" people. That may very well hold true again this year - I don't know what's in store for the fall season, but it's gonna have to be damn good. Like I said, Up isn't Wall E, but it's still fan-fuckin'-tastic. And besides...how many Wall E's can any one studio have in a lifetime?!

I do have to say that Up is likely Pixar's most "adult" film to date...despite the obvious ideas aimed at children (I'll get to that in a second). Sure, The Incredibles had its share of violence and mayhem, marking the studio's first PG-rated effort - but I wouldn't say that's necessarily cause to call it an "adult" film. Up has it's share of violence, but that isn't what makes it a little more grown up. Without giving away much detail, what stands apart with this film is the way it deals with life and living, and death. It might sail over the heads of some of the film's core audience, but that's ok...there's plenty there for the wee folk too. Death, as most child development experts and psychiatric types will tell you, is a subject most people are physically unable to really grasp until after the age of 5 or 6, sometimes even later than that. The brain of a child that age just can't grasp the concept yet. Up deals with this in a touching, unique, and really damned intelligent way...and that's through implication. And while it's tragic (particularly in one instance), it's also very touching (I'll admit it...I cried...a couple of times).

Then...there's Dug! Pixar always has that one character...one that's simple, and cute, and just uproariously funny. Here - that's Dug. Dug...is a dog, a dog with a collar that let's him talk to people. We've all wondered what exactly our pets are thinking (assuming they could think in our language). Watch a dog on an average day...what could possibly be going through that brain while it: chases its own tail, sniffs and licks its butt, pinches a loaf, harasses the mailman, finds endless hours of pleasure in a rubber ball? I can only say you'd be hard pressed to ever find a better representation of that than what Pixar has done with Dug. Case in point:

"Hi there! My name is Dug! I don't know you...but I LOVE YOU! My master made me this collar so that I could talk to people! He is a good and loving master and he made me this collar so that I could talk to people...SQUIRREL!!!!!!...Hi there!"

You've likely already seen most of that moment in the trailer...so I'll assume I'm not spoiling much for anyone. If so sorry, but...what fuckin' rock have you been living under anyway?! Dug doesn't even have to say anything...like any good dog, he makes things a little brighter just by being there. Having said that...keep an ear open of his, umm..."joke"! It's one of the most awesomely stupid/morbid moments I can recall in recent memory! And Dug isn't alone in the canine absurdity...the introduction of Alpha is likely to leave you in stitches as well. They got Michael's seal of approval - which basically amounts to a festive shouting of "PUPPIES!!!" every time they came on the screen.

Michael Giacchino is a busy muthafucka! He's already blown (most of) us away with his Star Trek score. I have no doubt that regardless of whatever kind of movie it is, the Land of the Lost score is a lot of fun. And now here's Up. Who does a summer blockbuster hat trick anymore? Michael Fuckin' Giacchino, that's who! Pixar really seems to bring out the best in him. Which is kind of a shame because the next two Pixar movies are going to Randy Newman (Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 - 2010 and 2011 respectively). Because let's face it - those are John Lassiter's babies, and he ain't lettin' nobody but Newman score them - though, really...that's probably not going to be a bad thing either. Anyway, as for the Up score, who knew Giacchino had such awesome "throwback to the golden age of scoring" chops?! The overall feel of it is very...vintage. Think MGM from the 40's through the early 60's. The piano work, while simple, is very moving and eloquent. It really pulls at the heartstrings, in ways that would give Tom Newman a run for his money. The whole thing just has an amazing whimsy to it. There's a "jungle trek" cue that really stands out for me - you'll know what I'm talking about when you see/hear it. It's just a shame really that there's no current plans for a CD release. Luckily, it's available on iTunes and other online digital download sites. Or if you'd prefer, and your a dirty fucking PIRATE (I'm not naming names - *Brad...COUGH...COUGH*), I'm sure you'll find some way to get your hands on it...and you really should.

So, that's my take on things I reckon. After that last post I thought I'd keep it a little shorter for you folks (but just a little). Anyway...up and away, get out and see the gold standard in animation soon as you can - it's well worth it...even if you are the only adults without children in the audience (creeeeeeeeppppppyyyyyyyy!!!).

8 comments:

Herr Vogler said...

This is a comment.

Word verification: castsom

Let's castsom directions to the Pikey pointing him to the "Delete" key is on his keyboard so he knows how to shore up the length of his posts.

Mikey the Pikey said...

This is a virtual finger - you should already know where to stick it!

Now...you post something of substance, then tell me my post is too long.

Herr Vogler said...

No, seriously, it's a nice post. I just had to punch myself in the nuts (twice) in order to stay awake long enough to read it.

the warrior bard said...

"You've likely already seen most of that moment in the trailer...so I'll assume I'm not spoiling much for anyone. If so sorry, but...what fuckin' rock have you been living under anyway?!"

I actually hadn't seen anything about this movie. I guess I have been living under a rock.

Mikey the Pikey said...

"Welcome...to the desert...
...of the real."

Herr Vogler said...

"...even if you are the only adults without children in the audience (creeeeeeeeppppppyyyyyyyy!!!)."

How is this creepy? This is how it was for die Frau and I (and you and Mrs. Pikey, I suspect) at every other Pixar film we've seen (and probably will for awhile).

Herr Vogler said...

I figured out how to get to the end of one of your posts; engage the improbability drive.

Mikey the Pikey said...

The other way to get to the end of it is to stop being a whiny dick and just read the fucking thing!

I don't know about you, but I can't count how many times I've been to a movie (be it from Pixar, Dreamworks, whatever) and been the only adult in the audience without a child in tow...and for whatever reason, I get an odd vibe from it. The worst was when Bart and I went to see Muppet's Treasure Island and were the only male adults in attendance - in a sea of soccer-moms and munchkins.

It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie, but I still can't help feeling out of place. Chalk it up to just one of those weird little things!